Make a gift outside of your will
A CRT can be set up independently from your will. This means your intentions remain confidential and the capital is protected against potential challenges to your estate.
Benefit from tax deductions
You may receive an immediate tax receipt for the present value of the CRT. US taxpayers may benefit from a tax-smart strategy to transform an appreciated asset into lifetime income.
Support yourself and your loved ones
You or your designated beneficiaries will receive income for a specified term. The remainder of the funds will be donated to the University.
Choose your cause
Support the area of the University you’re most passionate about. Let us know if you’d like to give to the University’s greatest needs, your faculty or another initiative.
- Speak with your tax advisor to determine if a CRT is the right vehicle for you
- For more information, contact McGill’s Bequests and Planned Gifts team
- Our Charitable Registration Number for Revenue Canada is: 11912 8981 RR0001
- All charitable trusts by U.S. citizens must be in the name of “The Friends of McGill University, Inc.”
- The Friends of McGill University, Inc. Tax exempt number for the IRS in the United States is: 23-7054819
- For US taxpayers donating a CRT, a donor receives income for life or a term of years, not to exceed 20 years.
1. Information on this site is of a general nature and not intended to constitute financial or legal advice. Please consult your income tax, financial and/or legal advisors before arranging a planned gift.
2. All requests for information are confidential.
The 200 for 200 Legacy Challenge
McGill will soon celebrate its 200th anniversary, marking 200 years of excellence in research, discovery and learning. To commemorate this special occasion, the University seeks to secure 200 legacy gifts.
Join us, and help ensure that McGill’s students and academic community continue to thrive.
Want more information on legacy giving?
Please fill out a form and we will get back to you. Your inquiry will be kept strictly confidential.
Have you already included McGill in your estate plans?
Please let us know. Completing a simple form helps ensure your estate plans are carried out and allows us to express our appreciation during your lifetime.
Make a gift online
Donating online is simple and secure. Just fill in our digital form, specifying which area you wish to support.
Support world-class education and cutting-edge research made by McGill. Be the generation that shapes the University of tomorrow. Explore planned giving options tailored to your goals, needs and timeline.
More ways to give
Help us build a better world. Find out about the many ways philanthropy can make a difference. Support deserving students, fund vital research and more.