Leave a bequest
Make your mark by including McGill in your will.
A bequest – a provision in your will or estate plan designating assets to the University – doesn’t impact your finances today and makes a world of difference in students’ lives tomorrow. Find out below how you may benefit from leaving a bequest.
Maximize your impact
Make a gift without affecting your financial security. You may even be able to make a larger donation than otherwise possible.
Make a tax-wise contribution
Consider the potential to reduce estate taxes.
Keep control of your assets
Direct funds to support the area of the University you’re passionate about. A revocable gift you can change at any time.
Opt for flexibility
Bequests can be gifts of cash, marketable securities or other assets.
Explore your options
Designate a fixed dollar amount or specific asset to McGill.
Designate your entire estate or a specified percentage to the University.
Designate a bequest in the event of the death of any beneficiaries named in your will.
Create a trust as part of your estate plans. You’ll be able to dictate the terms according to which your assets will be distributed, and support both your beneficiaries and McGill.
Know the essentials
- When drafting your will, you may use "McGill University" or "Royal Institution for the Advancement of Learning" for our legal name
- View suggested bequest language
- Our Charitable Registration Number for Revenue Canada is: 11912 8981 RR0001
- Our tax exempt number for the IRS in the United States is: EIN-98-6001153
- Information on this site is of a general nature and not intended to constitute financial or legal advice. Please consult your income tax, financial and/or legal advisors before arranging a planned gift.
- All requests for information are confidential.
Want more information on legacy giving?
Please fill out a form and we will get back to you. Your inquiry will be kept strictly confidential.
Have you already included McGill in your estate plans?
Please let us know. Completing a simple form helps ensure your estate plans are carried out and allows us to express our appreciation during your lifetime.
Bequests and Planned Gifts
- Send us an email
- 1-800-567-5175 (toll-free in North America)
University Advancement 1430 Peel Street,
Montreal, QC, H3A 3T3 Get directions
Ways to give
Make a gift online
Donating online is simple and secure. Just fill in our digital form, specifying which area you wish to support.
Support world-class education and cutting-edge research made by McGill. Be the generation that shapes the University of tomorrow. Explore planned giving options tailored to your goals, needs and timeline.
More ways to give
Help us build a better world. Find out about the many ways philanthropy can make a difference. Support deserving students, fund vital research and more.