Reduce estate taxes
Make a strategic choice to minimize estate taxes. Retirement plans are one of the most heavily taxed assets on transfer to the next generation.
Keep control of your assets
Retain ownership and use of the fund during your lifetime. The gift is revocable, so you can amend the beneficiary if your situation changes.
Direct your savings
Ensure your hard-earned savings are put to good use. Speak to our team to explore which projects or areas of the University you wish to support.
If you’re in Canada:
- When designating your retirement plan assets, please use "McGill University" or "Royal Institution for the Advancement of Learning" for our legal name
- Charitable Registration Number for Revenue Canada: 11912 8981 RR0001
- In Quebec, the designated beneficiary must also be named in the will
If you’re in the US:
- When designating your retirement plan assets, please use “Friends of McGill University Inc.”
- Our Tax exempt number for the IRS in the United States is: 23-7054819
Please consult your tax or financial advisor for more details
1. Information on this site is of a general nature and not intended to constitute financial or legal advice. Please consult your income tax, financial and/or legal advisors before arranging a planned gift.
2. All requests for information are confidential.
Have you already included McGill in your estate plans?
Please let us know. Completing a simple form helps ensure your estate plans are carried out and allows us to express our appreciation during your lifetime.
Make a gift online
Donating online is simple and secure. Just fill in our digital form, specifying which area you wish to support.
Support world-class education and cutting-edge research made by McGill. Be the generation that shapes the University of tomorrow. Explore planned giving options tailored to your goals, needs and timeline.
More ways to give
Help us build a better world. Find out about the many ways philanthropy can make a difference. Support deserving students, fund vital research and more.